Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday 30 April 2013

The story of a big head

 I was cautioned about his big head even while he was in my stomach and we didn't even know that He will be a Robin when the sonographer told me "Ooh, he has a big head!". That is not really the sentence you want to hear before birth, though I have tried forgot about it and put it behind me, plus the midwife reassured me that it doesn't mean anything.
Then 1st of August came, and I was reminded again of his big head and it was clear that his head was not made for my birth canal, and as we know now he had to be born by c-section.

He was beautiful and the topic of the headsize didn't come up, and I don't think it looked any bigger at all.
Then he must have been about 3-4 months (maybe on the 16 week check-up) the health visitor measured his head and found that it is on the 96th percentile, just under the top of the normal level.
I still wasn't worried as he was still developing well and Richard's head is big also :-)

But on the 6th month check-up another health visitor measured his head again and the size was on the 99th percentile, but more worrying that there is a lump on the top of his head next to the soft spot (or whatever the English word for that soft centre on babies head).
The health visitor was really kind, she said that there is no reason to worry, he is developing nicely, but just to be on the safe side, I should go to the GP to have him checked-out.
Off we went.
He looked into his eyes, felt his little lump (while Bobin was smiling encouragingly at him) then he reassured me that there is nothing to worry about, he is developing well, can't see any pressure in his brain BUT just to be on the safe side and to make sure he will give us an appointment to the pediatrician to have him checked out.
I don't mind as I rather be on the safe side as well, but why cant I go straight to there? Why all these appointments and waiting??
At last the day of the appointment came last week. More waiting, more measuring and he swept more nurses off their feet with his soft, spikey red hair.
He was measured as well, 10.6 kg and 72cm.
The doctor was a nice a lady from Iraq, who examined him a bit more thoroughly, more lump feeling, more looking into his eyes, listening into his head, looking at him crawling, sitting....Then she reassured me that she doesn't think there is any problem with him, he is developing nicely, doesn't think there is any problem with his brain, BUT she would send us to skull x-ray and ultrasound to check that the bones of his skull didn't start to attach before they should be as she can't determine that by touching.

So now we are waiting again for the 13th of May appointment and really really hope that he is fine and there is no problem with him and we won't need to be referred upwards until we reach the Queen so someone can tell us that he is fine.


No comments: